Surgery & TMD
Chewing system orthopedics is so successful that surgery is rarely ever requested.
TMJ surgery fails if the causes of disc displacement are not resolved before surgery.
Chewing system orthopedics is required before TMJ surgery is ever be considered.
Wisdom tooth extraction is not a treatment for jaw pain.
Orofacial Pain team provides the orthopedic therapy to manage 8 causes of lateral ligament tearing of disc; thus, providing best opportunity for healing.
- Structures: Jaw joint, muscles, ligaments, nerves, capsule, synovial tissues
- Movements: rotation, translation, complex movements
- 4 major causes:
a) Tension muscle
- 4 minor causes:
pain system escalation
- TMJ is joint muscle complex; therefore, management is orthopedic therapies
- TMJ is chronic pain not acute pain
Solution Mencius Plication: manage cause of tearing ligament to disc before surgery, then the surgery to recapture the meniscus (disc) would have been more successful.
Why is chewing system orthopedics (CSO so successful)
- Chewing system orthopedics is a health care team
- Team can focus on multiple tissues
- Team inspired to managing all causes
- Causes are managed simultaneously
- Promote maximum healing
- Use conservative therapies for healing
- Chronic pain changes to nervous system must be address
- CSO is so successful that surgery is rarely requested
Common sense test (to see if jaw joint is major source pain)
- Have surgeon, numb Auriculotemporal Nerve
- If jaw pain goes away, the joint is source pain.
- If pain remains, there are other sources of pain
- Even if joint is some pain, you prefer surgery over conservative therapy
- Any TMJ Surgery has higher rate failure than CSO
Types of jaw surgery:
- Menicus plication,
- Orthognathic surgery,
What is arthrocentesis?
- Flushing TMJ to remove inflammation chemicals & tissue tags
- Two syringe are place in the fossa of TMJ
- One presents healing fluid and other removes inflammation
Since conservative therapy works; so well, even arthrocentesis is limited to jaw pain cases that resist opening back to normal !
Future of meniscus plication:
- Preoperative Orthopedic therapy mandated
- Max Healing of Jaw joint structures
- Reposition disc in health environment
- Regeneration of fibrocartilage will be available
- Improved robotic micro surgery
Arthrocentesis will be more successful in future. It is flushing of joint spaces to remove inflammation & cartilage chips.
What is meniscus plication ? The surgeon takes the anterior displaced disc and rotates the disc back over the condylar head & sutures it in place. Surgeon may recontour the lateral aspect of disc to biconcave shape before suturing it into place. The disc is a rectangular shaped donut in biconcave form.
Is surgery ever necessary in TMD treatment? Rare, mainly in Osteoarthritis w/ High anxiety
Why do some patients still request TMJ Surgery:
- So busy that a quick fix sounds enticing
- Not aware surgery has high failure rate
- Unaware success of chewing system orthopedics
- A lot tissues are cut to get to lateral ligament
- Why surgery, when conservative therapy works
- Orthopedic therapy success depends on patients with passion for health
High anxiety-PTDS-Panic-Emotional Hyjacking interferes with all TMD treatment:
- High anxiety sets up massive contraction pterygoid muscle
- High contraction lateral pterygoid causes failure of lateral ligament
- Stretching then tearing lateral ligament causes disc displacement
- Progressive tearing sets up completely displacement disc
- Complete displacement causes significant pain chewing-talking
Wisdom tooth & jaw pain
- Cause jaw pain should be determined before wisdom teeth extraction
- Extraction w/ moderate damage in TMJ’s can exacerbate the jaw pain
- Simple test: numb the nerve to wisdom tooth to see if pain goes away
- Wisdom teeth are unlikely to be cause of jaw joint pain
- Wisdom tooth extraction should be delayed until after stabilize jaw joint
- Damaged TMJ is susceptible to open mouth procedure
- Extraction may cause flare in jaw pain
- Oral surgeons will tell you to stabilize jaw joint before open mouth procedures
- Mild damage TMJ is usually strong enough to handle wisdom tooth extraction
If any symptoms of unstable jaw joint, the stability of TMJ should be ascertained before wisdom tooth surgery.
Chewing system orthopedics:
- Different for everyone
- Multitude causes
- Unique combinations
- Targets all causes
- Pain system changes
- Team handles complexities
The heart of orthopedic care is team:
- Physical therapy,
- Orthopedic coach, and
Presurgical-conservative therapy are other terms for chewing system orthopedics
Meniscus plication surgery done in 1990’s is not a recommended surgery for TMJ damage at present time.
Why meniscus plication surgery failed ?
- Surgeons focused on damage, not cause
- Causes of TMJ damage were not manage before surgery
- Damage occurs to all TMJ structures
- TMJ is a complex joint
- Lack research causes displaced disc
- If causes can tear healthy ligament disc, it can tear suture line
- Mencius plication surgery was not researched prior implementation
- Physical Therapy or Orthotics were not offered after surgery
Why surgery was first treatment for TMD ?
- Surgeons focused on damage, not cause
- Surgical focus on disc (meniscus)
- Structures: Muscle, capsule, synovial, ligament, retrodiscal tissue, nerve, disc
- Temporomandibular Joint is a complex joint
- Lack research on how disc displaced
- Causes tearing disc needed tx before surgery
- Main causes:
a) Tension muscles
d) Head n Neck
- If causes can tear a healthy lateral ligament, it can tear suture line
- Solution: manage cause of tearing ligament to disc before surgery
Leave a Reply